Industry Statistics of Food Services and Drinking Places
- Nearly 560,000 businesses in the US are classified as eating places
- In the US, nearly 7 million persons are employed in the restaurant industry
- According to the NRA, in the US, the average full service restaurant sales in 1999 were $625,000 and $572,000 for limited service restaurants
Food Service Industry Trends
- In year 2000, the average annual household expenditure for food away from home was $2,137 ($855 per person).
- Characteristics that influence the decision to purchase food away from home are income, age, and family composition.